President Bush proposing selling 300,000 acres of Forest

Management, timber harvest, roadless issues

Re: President Bush proposing selling 300,000 acres of Forest

Postby ~jeff~ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:00 am

Todd wrote:President Bush is proposing selling about 300,000 acres of National Forest land.....

4) Would you be interested in buying any of these properties?

Personally I'd be in favor of not seeing these public lands be pawned off.

Many of these locations being sold will result in the loss of the now limited areas we have for public use, even some of the really tiny locations could currently be used for public access to other state and BLM lands.

I really think our current administration has left enough of a mark for the history book with out adding another yet chapter.
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:07 am

I got the download but what do I need to use to open an .xis file?
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby git r bayed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:17 am

land to hunt is too hard to find now leave what we've got alone we're spending enough money on education now look at the taxed we pay. i for one get tired of being on goverment land and all of a sudden coming across a no trespassing sign where some rich person has came in and baught up a tract of land that was accessible to me just the year before.
git r bayed
Outdoorsmen

Sell it off?

Postby Coyotlviejo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:43 am

I think we can come up with other ways to fund our schools. If we sell it off it's gone forever. If they do sell it, I hope that non-profits will buy it up and keep it accessible for the public. I wouldn't mind buying some of the tracts, if they insist on selling them, but I doubt I would have the capital or the funding needed.

Coyo~
Coyotlviejo
Trophy Hunter

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:14 pm

Tennessee doesn't have enough public hunting land and now they want to sell more of it off! Some of the Tennessee property is to small to really hunt, but that one is 400 acres!!
Phil
Guide

Postby blountcountyboy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:10 pm

Sorry todd I am alittle late on this, I just got online for the first time in days.

I cannot see how selling this land will help in any way other than fatting the pockets of the friends of Bush. I would surmise that this land is already spoken for. What I mean is Bush already knows who wants alot of it. Help rural schools? Why not use some of the lottery money for this instead of giving it all as scholorships. Rebuild rural roads? Let the loggers in and make them pay for access to these properties by rebuilding these same roads. Help local aconomy (sp). Logging WILL help the the local people. They will get jobs with the loggin company. They will sell goods and items to these loggers. Logging these properties WILL help the wildlife as well. Hard to maintain? I would like to see a spread sheet on everything they do to "maintain" the sections that are together.I walk these properties they want to sell off. These properties shouldn't be for the pleasure of only a select few people who have the money to own it. I would hate to see these properties logged off and resemble some after math of an atomic bomb, but not as bad as never getting to see this land again. If some dumb, hillbilly, back woods redneck like me can see that there are other alterantives to this surely to God some Harvard grad that has more powers that I can make Bush see this. I hate the the idea. I really do. It gets me fighting mad. But what can we do when you have a tyrant in office who only see the $ signs in everything we take for granted or enjoy?
blountcountyboy
Green Horn

Postby Phil » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 pm

I will send them an e-mail now.

Thanks!!
Phil
Guide

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:34 pm

I don't want them to sell it but I wish I had a piece of it!! :lol: :lol:
Phil
Guide

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:03 am

I don't think the USFS should sell any of this land per say. They should trade or exchange the outlying and isolated parcels for similar value tracts contiguous with the main forest.
A one time cash payment is of little value to the rural school systems. The school systems in South Dakota suffer more from poor economic management thean they do from actual insufficient monies. They wast huge sums on "technology" items like lap top computers that waste valuable class time and are a physical and economic burden on many of the students.
The rural schools near the Black Forest get payments in lieu of taxes from monies generated from the National Forest. Selling off potential revenue sources is bad short and longterm policy.
Greg
Green Horn

Return to National Forests