Indian Fry Bread

Camping foods, Backyard Grilling, Recipes, and Wild Game ....

Moderators: Todd, MJW

Indian Fry Bread

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

I love biscuits and different types of bread. Here is an interesting Indian Fry bread. I've had it on a reservation once and this comes close. It's fun to do while camping.

The Honorable Brad Carson
United States Congressman, Oklahoma
Specialty Recipe
Indian Fry Bread

Fry bread is a staple in the diet of most Indian tribes. Although the recipe may vary slightly among tribes, this particular recipe is from the Navajo Tribe. It was obtained by my parents when they lived on the Navajo reservation in Arizona. The bread is excellent for serving with stew, beans, honey, or any other food.
Ingredients
2 cups unsifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pour ingredients into mixing bowl. Add warm water and stir until dough is consistency of bread. Let dough set for 30 minutes before rolling or patting out with hands.
Tear off balls of dough and roll or pat out with hand into pieces 6 to 8 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. If rolled out on board, dust lightly with flour or cornmeal. Punch a hole in the center of each piece to make it cook more evenly and not burst due to air bubbles.
Fry one piece at a time in hot fat (400 degrees and about 2 to 3 inches deep) until light brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper and serve.
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:37 pm

I'd like to try this one in a dutch oven. It came from Ralph at another forum.

Basic Damper
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
90g butter
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:08 am

I've had it both as a dessert and as a compliment to cooked salmon. Slathering it with butter and covering it with powdered sugar or jam is nice.
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Fry Bread

Postby Coyotlviejo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 am

We like it out camping, too. If we're with a big group and we have to take turns providing dinner we usually do fry bread. Another more ancient variant that I also like is ash cakes. Make small balls of dough and drop them into the edge of your campfire ashes, or lay them on top of a flat rock surrounded by coals. If they burn around the edges, just crack them open and eat the heart. Best if made with cattail pollen.

Coyo~
Coyotlviejo
Trophy Hunter

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 pm

I use canola oil for everything that I don't use olive oil for. I just make the regular fry bread and since I've been dieting have quit making it all together. I will do a batch when I go to Canada camping. We put a little sugar in the dough for the dessert bread and then top with home made jams or syrup. We only keep real maple syrup on hand but make some fruit syrup when we have fresh fruit. The Italian thing you describe is like foccacia. I can see adding some Italian spices, garlic and cheese to the dough. We put olive oil on a plate and then add basalmic vinegar for the dipping.

I've quit using butter and bacon grease for frying. All the meats I saute for chili, goulas, and spag I use olive oil. I fry fish in canola oil and seldom do that. I grill mostly.
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:48 am

We take everything in the car and premix. A lot of times we just buy when when we get to Canada. They have some neat stores up there. My wife and I take way more than we can ever eat. My buddy calls it our "Depression Mentality" but he borders on anorexia.
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 pm

You know what I don't like about this section of the forum?

Evertime I come in here I leave hungry. :D
Phil
Guide

Postby Big John aka Mod 12 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:34 pm

I picked up a book at the library and it is titled "The Trailside Cookbook". It is a modern cookbook for hikers and campers and comes out of England. it has a good recipe for fry bread, damper bread, and bannock. I'm going to see if I can get this book through Amazon as it is pretty interesting. If it ever quits raining, I may just try a damper out in the backyard.
Big John aka Mod 12
Big John aka Mod 12
Trophy Hunter

Return to Outdoor Cooking & Grilling