Marijuana Growing Operation in Cave (photos)

gear, places, safety ......

Moderator: Todd

TN Revenuers

Postby bryan » Sun May 14, 2006 4:48 am

Here is an article on TN drug tax. I think the drug tax is a great idea, the drug stamp idea sucks! As long as the state can make money too they don't care how many drugs are on the streets. :evil:
I wonder how they would feel if a crackhead broke into there house and killed everyone but them, then find out he had a stamp for his crack.
http://www.tennessean.com/government/ar ... D=63433882
bryan
Trophy Hunter

Postby 1953greg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:16 am

1stimestar wrote:Wow. That's quite the operation. Wonder how they got caught?

they had tapped into the underground power lines between the transformer and house service blowing the 7.5kva transformer. a larger 12kva transformer was installed and it also blew and was replaced. at this point tbi was informed and investigation began. after 4-5 yrs of investigation and surveillance the tbi had nothing but suspicion. the tbi caught everyone gone but a grounds keeper and drove up w/ an army and bluffed the grounds keeper into throwing in the towel, or in this case, opening the door.

the house is gone. went up n smoke.

the cave dosent have a proper name. locally known as the cato cave located bout 200yds from downtown cato tn in the north east corner of trousdale county.

the property will be sold dec 8 2007 at public auction onsite.
1953greg
Green Horn

Postby ~jeff~ » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm

1953greg wrote:they had tapped into the underground power lines between the transformer and house service blowing the 7.5kva transformer. a larger 12kva transformer was installed and it also blew and was replaced. at this point tbi was informed and investigation began. after 4-5 yrs of investigation and surveillance the tbi had nothing but suspicion. the tbi caught everyone gone but a grounds keeper and drove up w/ an army and bluffed the grounds keeper into throwing in the towel, or in this case, opening the door.

Hey Greg, Welcome to the site. I'm curious as to where you got this information. The transformer sizes stated seem really small.
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby 1953greg » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 pm

~jeff~ wrote:
1953greg wrote:they had tapped into the underground power lines between the transformer and house service blowing the 7.5kva transformer. a larger 12kva transformer was installed and it also blew and was replaced. at this point tbi was informed and investigation began. after 4-5 yrs of investigation and surveillance the tbi had nothing but suspicion. the tbi caught everyone gone but a grounds keeper and drove up w/ an army and bluffed the grounds keeper into throwing in the towel, or in this case, opening the door.

Hey Greg, Welcome to the site. I'm curious as to where you got this information. The transformer sizes stated seem really small.

im not sure of the sizes of the transformers as this info was conveyed to me some 1.5 yrs ago, i have slep since then. could be off by a factor of 10 or 100 but the scenario is accurate as per people that had their hands on the situation.

not sure bout this but was told that the tbi rolled in w/ 6-8 vehicles w/ lights n sirens and a blank search warrant. a complete bluff.
1953greg
Green Horn

Postby ~jeff~ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:29 pm

Same here Todd, that place was really nice.
I'd be about like the owners to have burned it or had it burned feeling there was no need for the government to benefit from the efforts it took for them to build it.

The transformer size X 10 would make sense but there are simple ways to detect the homes power usage in moments, even with them being tapped between the transformer and meter. that is once the residence has given them a reason to be suspicious. That method of tapping is the smartest but not most common way power is stolen.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby 1953greg » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:08 am

the missing link n the operation was a cover. if they had something like a pottery furnace/oven for a legit operation and paid for the elec they would still b selling pot today.

wouldnt that b a play on words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1953greg
Green Horn

Postby 1953greg » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:22 am

Todd wrote:Greg thanks for the info. I heard it was going to be auctioned, wish I had the extra money, I would love to own a "Bat Cave" like that.

Do they know what caused the fire that destroyed the house?

If you happen to hear what the cave and property get at auction, I think many would be interested in knowing.

"Do they know what caused the fire that destroyed the house?"

common sense says it was a match
dont u think?

guess i shouldnt reveal my sources here but i will be touring the cave saturday the 1st 10a w/ handle on my hat.
1953greg
Green Horn

Postby ~jeff~ » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:32 am

i will be touring the cave saturday the 1st 10a w/ handle on my hat.

If your situation allows for it, get some photos while you tour.

the missing link n the operation was a cover. if they had something like a pottery furnace/oven for a legit operation and paid for the elec they would still b selling pot today.

Or, they could have just been smart enough to have kept their power consumption within the limits of their transformers capabilities.

I've heard in the NW growers build homes with the intent of growing so they design the homes to appear to be electrical gluttons, electric heat, lot's of sq. footage, hot tub's, etc. Then they just heat with wood and operate the homes very conservatively allowing for their grow lights to run up the bill and never get questioned.

This is very plausible considering the huge homes people typically build today have almost become the standard in new construction. Many of these huge homes have 400amp electrical services feeding them where a 200 amp service is ample for most homes. It's funny that not so long ago a 60amp service was suitable to service your typical home.

Seems we are becoming electric consuming pigs.

It's also been said that your local power company isn't going to throw up red flags if the customer just pays there bill, they are in business to sell power, why run off a good customer? That is if they don't get crazy and go overboard super-heating and burning up their transformers.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

more info

Postby 1953greg » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:21 pm

i was wrong on some details

heres the scoop

property was purchased in 96 house built in 98

fully operational in 2000 busted in nov or dec 06

the cave and house has four 200 amp services

there were 96 1000 watt metalhalide grow lights

grow area is app 25' x 150' 356 5 gal buckets

the power company did not contact authorities.

the transformer was replaced at least 3 times. 75 to 120 to 250kva

suspicion was aroused when the owner used an alias name w different credit card. not sure of the chain of events that followed that, perhaps there was a misdemeanor, but an investigation began.

3 were involved, owner and 2 partners. owner was an electrical engineer.

a book of tennessee caves was found on the coffee table of the owner when he was arrested in florida.

tbi had nothing but bluffed their way in via one of the two partners.

sale wil be sat dec 8 10a @ 2125 dixon creek road, dixon springs tn.

someone will win $1000 cash by guessing the price
http://www.tnrealestate.com/guessthepri ... price.html

i an not astute on the growing details. some said multi million operation.
my guess is maybe a one million dollar/yr operation. someone said that 60 days was enough for a crop. im guessing closer to 90. but they had a incubator and nursery so maybe they could get a harvest every 60 days after all the lights were on 24 7.
in alaska they grow 100lb cabbage in 60 days!

obtw jeff, thanks for the photo gallery. awsome!!!!
i was in homer for 3 months summer of 01.

good day greg
1953greg
Green Horn

Postby caver » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:09 pm

What would have been nice, IMO, would have been for the county to donate the land to a private caving organization, such as the Southeastern Cave Conservancy, and they would have gladly reopened the cave and let the natural world take it over again.
*sigh*
But of course this would not generate 285 thousand dollars for the coffers of the drug task force. Wonder how they task force will spend the money? Probably on more undercover vehicles and spying operations to terrorize the public in the name of the war on drugs. :roll:
caver
Outdoorsmen

Postby chief joe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:56 am

Todd wrote:
It would certainly seem there would be better ways of 'protecting' society than the current "war on drugs", which is obviously a complete failure. As long as some idiots is willing to smoke iodine, matchheads, and sudafed they will never have a chance.

One point to ponder when discussing how the war on drugs is failing is to remember that across the board we have steadily decreased the penalties for the use and possession of drugs since the 60s making the market for dealers that much broader IMHO. I am still in favor of low tolerances in enforcement. It is better get caught with a baggy that sitting in a car stopped in a parking lot with .08 blood alcohol. Drug dealers get "off" all the time if they drop dimes on other "bigger fish". In Ohio not too many DUI's were reduced. That was one of the main reasons for county over crowding in the jails. Guys going their weekend for DUI. :pop:
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm

A thousand plants in a 20ft long tank? An 8ft tall tank generally means an 8ft round tank. They musta been just itty bitty babies. Maybe a clone grower just selling starts or sumtin.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby jackmcmanus21 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:00 pm

wow...pretty intense operation
jackmcmanus21
Green Horn

Previous

Return to Caving