Turkey is in the Smoker!

Camping foods, Backyard Grilling, Recipes, and Wild Game ....

Moderators: Todd, MJW

Turkey is in the Smoker!

Postby bodean9 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Ethan (my 6-year old) and I started smoking a turkey today. I meant to get started earlier, but I forgot to pick up extra drumsticks (because dark meat is my favorite), so I had to run to town and we got a late start smoking. It takes around 12 hours and we started smoking at 1:00PM.
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Re: Turkey is in the Smoker!

Postby chief joe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:54 am

No way I can make it to your house by 1AM... Sounds really good though. :D
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby bodean9 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:32 am

Joe the smoked turkey is already in the freezer...it was done cooking 1 hour early. You might not be able to make it to my house by 1AM, but the turkey will not be served until Thanksgiving Day…I cooked it this weekend because that is when I had time to do it. We will also be cooking a non-smoked turkey on Thanksgiving and if you want to drive from Texas for smoked turkey just send me a private message and I’ll send you my address. We’ll have enough food for 2 families and eat for a week with the leftovers.

My mother-in-law likes her turkey (non-smoked) in her dressing. So we have to cook smoked and non-smoked to please everyone.

What is weird for me…if I hickory smoke anything and take a single whiff of the hickory smoke…then I can’t taste it until the next day. I ate some of the turkey tonight, but because I had been sniffing the smoke I couldn’t taste any of the hickory flavor. Until Thanksgiving! You and your clan are welcomed!
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Postby chief joe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Thank you for the kind invitation! Not much clan here for us, just Katie and me. It sounds like you have a festive Thanksgiving planned. We will be going to a couple's home from our church for a meal. I hope to hunt in the morning with a young boy from the church. We hunt on the 24th each season to commerate harvesting a 130 class buck together on that day in 08. Again that you for extending the invite!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby bodean9 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Good luck deer hunting Joe. Hunters around us are trying to kill one deer they have nicknamed "Helmet Head." He sleeps in a huge native grass field behind our house, but the hunters have missed him two years in a row. My neighbor has photographs of him taken from his trail cams.

Gary
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Return to Outdoor Cooking & Grilling