Give squirrel a whirl - CNN

Camping foods, Backyard Grilling, Recipes, and Wild Game ....

Moderators: Todd, MJW

Give squirrel a whirl - CNN

Postby Todd » Fri May 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Give squirrel a whirl

I have a squirrel guy. His name is Buddy and by trade he's a sound engineer, but in his heart of hearts, he's a hunter. Buddy doesn't hunt simply for sport; he, his girlfriend and his son cook only meat and fish that they have personally dispatched.

If Buddy's willing to share meat with me, I say, 'thank you' and take what he's offering. I know his kill was clean, quick and respectful, it'll be expertly cleaned and dressed, and no way am I going to find anything of its variety or caliber in my local butcher shop or supermarket.

That doesn't mean that when he offered me a brace of squirrels, I didn't initially have pause. I got over that pretty pretty quickly - and deliciously - and you should, too. Here's why.

1. Squirrel is the chicken of the trees

To paraphrase blogger turned cookbook author Hank Shaw - if you wanted to starve to death in the wilderness, you'd have to try pretty hard. Squirrels are plentiful - overly so in some regions. Buddy initially began dispatching the squirrels because they were savaging the garden he'd so carefully planted. Their numbers were seemingly undiminished.

"Awwwwww!" you might coo. "But they're so adorable and sweet and and how could you be so very cruel as to eat the precious Disney fluffy-wuffy?"

Yup
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby Todd » Fri May 20, 2011 3:05 pm

I am just blown away that CNN had the gawl to run such an article. I bet their liberal base is going to raise cain once they come to and get up off the floor....
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby Todd » Fri May 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I must have gottento the article just after it was posted, there are already replys starting..

Ashok said "You guys are sick. Seeing that chunk of meat from a poor innocent creature makes me sick"

She says as she woofs down a greasy burger....

andrew said "how can someone possibly eat squirrels? that video is disgusting. looks like it wasn't cleaned on the insides at all. why don't we all start eating cats and dogs too? omg"

He says as he eats Escargot....

Mordo said "It looks a bit too much like a decapitated human baby in a frying pan for my tastes..."

:l2

I don't understand how I can be from the same planet or race as some of these people....
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Fri May 20, 2011 11:41 pm

And it tastes just like chicken! :l2
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Return to Outdoor Cooking & Grilling