Glass Top Stoves Suck

Camping foods, Backyard Grilling, Recipes, and Wild Game ....

Moderators: Todd, MJW

Glass Top Stoves Suck

Postby Todd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Glass Top Stoves Suck

We ended up putting in a Ceramic glass top Jenn-Air glass top stove in our kitchen and afterwords, I found out how bad they suck. Sure it looks good, but one HUGE drawback makes it virtually worthless for people who actually like to cook, not just heat up cans of processed foods.

The issue? You can't use cast iron on these things. That one issue alone is enough to make me never recomend or purchase another.

Are there actually people out there who cook, but don't use cast iron?
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby ~jeff~ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

I hear they are really good at burning the crap outta ya when forget they are still hot also....

I can't believe people cook with electric. I'm a gas/propane guy myself.....
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby bryan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 am

We cook on ours all the time. We use SS, and works fine. I never could get a cast iron pot to do anything put burn my food either, so I guess it goes both ways.
bryan
Trophy Hunter

Postby Todd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:49 pm

~jeff~ wrote:I hear they are really good at burning the crap outta ya when forget they are still hot also....

I can't believe people cook with electric. I'm a gas/propane guy myself.....

Originally we were planning on natural gas. In fact we have a nice Whirpool Gold series gas stove now just sitting in our sunroom. The problem I had was getting gas line run from our meter to the kitchen area of our house. It would have had to of had many turns and I just didn't want to hand thread all that pipe. I called 4 local contractors to do the job, and apparently none of them want to work for a living.

I am going to name a few names here because NONE of them did what they said they were gping to.

I called Charles Stone, said he would call me back in 30 minutes, that was 2 months ago. Still waiting. :roll:

Called Putnam Plumbing, they came took measuments said they would get back to me with a quote. 2 months, still waiting.

Mother in law called a guy that did some work for her, can't remember his business name, his name was Terry. Said he was going to come one monday about 3 weeks ago, didn't show or call for two weeks.

So we went ahead and got the Jenn-Air electric and I put it in myself with my dad giving me a little help running the 240 wiring to it's new location.....

A few days after I got our new stove in, "Terry" shows up, 3 weeks late, wanting to give a quote. Sorry bud, your to slow....

It is funny with everyone complaing that business is so slow or they can't find work, that no one shows up or follows up on jobs.
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby ~jeff~ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 pm

That's too bad....
I was having a beer with a local electrician the other day, he's been around. He's recommended by many, has a nice waterfront home with all the associated toys to go with it...

I asked him if he was keeping busy, I see him around all the time.
He told me did as little as possible and he was dead serious.

Just when I thought being a deadbeat was my job:-)

If you end up not being able to live without hooking up that gas stove, they make all kinda cool flex tubing for gas today. Maybe a "on occasion" location could be more accessible for the hook-up?
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 pm

That's why they all say "No problem". When you ask if they can do something "no Problem" is the instant response. That is code for it is not a problem cause I con't plan to do it!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 pm

chief joe wrote:That's why they all say "No problem". When you ask if they can do something "No problem" is the instant response. That is code for it is not a problem cause I don't plan to do it!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby Todd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 pm

~jeff~ wrote: If you end up not being able to live without hooking up that gas stove, they make all kinda cool flex tubing for gas today. Maybe a "on occasion" location could be more accessible for the hook-up?

I saw some flex stuff, but it was higher than a giraffes a**......
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:39 am

I ran soft copper up into a third story apartment I built once to run the apartment size stove. Had to run like one inch to get enough volume but it worked fine?
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Todd wrote:
~jeff~ wrote: If you end up not being able to live without hooking up that gas stove, they make all kinda cool flex tubing for gas today. Maybe a "on occasion" location could be more accessible for the hook-up?

I saw some flex stuff, but it was higher than a giraffes a**......

I almost mentioned that it could be cost prohibitive but then, comparing a contractors bid to a flex DIYS project?

Of course, you'd have to get a contractor to actually make a bid to do that....

I suppose it's all water under the bridge at this point...
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Return to Outdoor Cooking & Grilling