Johnny Stewart Caller Battery Won't Charge

coyote, crow, fox ......

Moderator: Todd

Johnny Stewart Caller Battery Won't Charge

Postby Todd » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 pm

It's always something...

The other day while hog hunting I saw a really nice, big black coyote. I didn't shoot it, because I wanted a boar or deer. And, I am guiding a coyote hunt in 3 weeks and didn't want to reduce his chances at all.

Anyways, I get my older model Johnny Stewart cassette tape caller out yesterday and it wouldn't play. Plugged in the battery to charge it up and the light wouldn't even come on. Like I said, it's always something....

Not sure if they even make these batteries anymore. It basically just powers the amplifier.

I have a nice selection of hand calls, so I am not to worried about the hunt to much. In fact, I prefer hand calls in many ways. But, it's more that this thing is in awesome shape and now it doesn't work.

Considering a new FoxPro, but that would make for a zero profit hunt. In fact those things are about $400 so after fuel and other expenses it would put me just about in the hole.
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby ~jeff~ » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:29 pm

If its just the battery, tear it outta there and see what the voltage demand is.
You could have a stack of D cells taped to the thing and use it if they add up to a equal voltage. A little solder and a little wire and slave your own battery pack into the thing.....nuttin2it.....
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Johnny Stewart battery charging problem

Postby Todd » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:33 pm

~jeff~ wrote:If its just the battery, tear it outta there and see what the voltage demand is.
You could have a stack of D cells taped to the thing and use it if they add up to a equal voltage. A little solder and a little wire and slave your own battery pack into the thing.....nuttin2it.....

Of course you are correct, but it all fits neaty and snugly into its little carrying case. Rigging a battery set-up wouldn't be to difficult but would pose some packaging issues.

I have been looking into the issue further. I disassembled the battery case last night and inside is a 12v battery thats about 4" x 2" x 2". I checked the voltage and it was only producing 3v. I also found an in-line fuse inside the battery case that seemed to check ok. reassembeled and plugged it back into amp check all connections, still no light (power to amp).

I plugged it back into the charger and it didn't give me the charging light. Thought maybe the light was out, but when I unplugged the charger, the red charging light came on then faded out. So, the light itself is good.

Plugged the charger back in and left it on all night. Hooked it back to the amp, still no light. Disassembeled the battery pack again and checked the voltage. This time 5.9v. So reassemled battery pack and hooked ot back to amp, still no light.

It sure seems like it is getting some charging or how else would voltage have increased? It also seems like over night charging would increase it more than 3v of power.

Also it seems like 6v would give some power to the amp. At least enough to let me know I am moving in the right direction.

Went ahead and hoked the battery back up to the charger will check again latter to see if it is charging....

Searching through my electronics to see if I have a fuse the right size just to be certain about that, but it does apear to be okay.
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Re: Johnny Stewart battery charging problem

Postby chief joe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Jeff knows a whole lot more than me but if it is a 12v it'll take a bunch closer to 12v to run it that the currebr 3-5v. Those diemensions are real close to the rechargable 12v in my game camera. Do you know Interstate makes a bunch of these and drill batteries?
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby Todd » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Well maybe I dont have a problem besides my expectations on charge times. Just checked the battery again and its up to 7.5v.

Maybe it just needs a lot more charge time than I thought.
Todd
Guide

Postby ~jeff~ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 am

You might get lucky and see it pop on when it eventually comes to full charge. It does seem like you'd get a flicker or sumtin outta that light at 7 volts or so though..ya never know.
It the charger is charging and the battery lever is coming up, that a good sign.

Might be that the batteries getting weak and it just went into a deep discharge for some reason and is going to take a bit to come to full charge.

I've had that problem with my deep cycles I use with my solar system when I've left them at a weak voltage then split for Alaska for 5 or 6 months. I come back and hit them with a 40 amp charge for about 8 hours and they come back around but the typical trickle charge they are use to getting wouldn't touch them.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:47 am

Doesn't it take about twelve hours?
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby Todd » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Strange, I let the battery charge overnight again. Voltage is up to 11.1.

Assembled with amp, and now I am getting a blinking light, which according to the directions is an indicator of battery needing charged. No sound coming out of amp still.

I probably have 20 hours or more of charge time already, but I have it plugged back in hoping for the best.
Todd
Guide

Postby Todd » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm

chief joe wrote:Doesn't it take about twelve hours?

Good question, the instructions don't say.

I think I have much more than that. I can't remember how long I charged it the first time, but I don't remember it being days.....
Todd
Guide

Postby ~jeff~ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:11 pm

My Coleman LED lantern calls for 16 hours on the first go round.

If you get it working properly, next time you put it away for extended storage be sure to bring it up to a full charge status first...

I don't think my deep cycles involved with my solar system have ever been the same since I let them run down to nothing for a few months....They just don't seem to have that kick they had when new anymore.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby Todd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 pm

~jeff~ wrote:I don't think my deep cycles involved with my solar system have ever been the same since I let them run down to nothing for a few months....They just don't seem to have that kick they had when new anymore.

Well, I put it back on the charger yesterday and left it until this afternoon, it's up to 12.7 now, and appears to be functioning properly. So, I guess I got a little excited over nothing.

I am wondering about how long this will hold a charge now though...

~jeff~ wrote:If you get it working properly, next time you put it away for extended storage be sure to bring it up to a full charge status first...

Good idea.
Todd
Guide

Return to Predator & Varmint