Coon Problem

coyote, crow, fox ......

Moderator: Todd

Coon Problem

Postby bryan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:24 am

The Coons have been eating my chickens like they were at KFC. 15 chicks about 2 pounds each and 4 laying hens. I have been trying everything , from trapping to shooting. I am up 2 coons now. I shot 1 from the house, and trapped 1 young coon. We named him Obama. He looked nice and friendly but was a thief. :evil: A friend of mine wanted to use him to train his young pup, so away he went. He made a nice play toy for about 5 minutes. :wink:
Now I have about 3 more coons to go.
I have been using sardines for bait, but they would rather have chicken.
bryan
Trophy Hunter

Re: Coon Problem

Postby chief joe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:05 am

bryan wrote:I have been using sardines for bait, but they would rather have chicken.

I have heard and had some success using mustard for bait. Can't steal it and cats don't like it??
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby 41mag » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 am

Get you a border collie. Granted it is not a quick solution but Border Collie are herd animals and they watch over and protect their flocks or herds and show no fear against any threat. We have one here and while we do not have chickens, it has "adopted" all our other animals and watches over them tirelessly.
41mag

Postby bryan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 am

My traps are doing fine. Got another one last night. I have a rat terrior she watches during the day. I would rather trap them for my fun.
bryan
Trophy Hunter

Postby 41mag » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:34 pm

I used to have a coon problem in my old horse barn (it no longer has horses in it and is used mostly for storage and such) It was so bad at times that outside barn cats was getting torn up by them. When I got the border collie a few years ago and made the barn part of his domain to watch, the coon problem went away quickly. He restored "balance" and it required no further intervention on my part. I did not want to use traps because on our cats and a occasional other that passes through. As long as that dog is alive coons will not come near that place again. Far more efficient.
41mag

Return to Predator & Varmint