Olympic Park Rangers Kill Cow Elk That Attacked Cars & T

Wildlife reintroductions, traffic, financial issues,

Olympic Park Rangers Kill Cow Elk That Attacked Cars & T

Postby Todd » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Dangerous Elk cow removed from Hoh

Published on Mon, Jun 20, 2011

by David Reynolds, Olympic National Park press release

Visitors urged to maintain safe viewing distances from all park wildlife

Monday afternoon, Olympic National Park rangers in the Hoh Rain Forest lethally removed a female elk that had displayed dangerous behavior in order to prevent the animal from inflicting personal injury to humans.

Incoming traffic to the Hoh Rain Forest was halted for approximately 30 minutes on June 20, while rangers killed the cow with two rifle shots to the heart. The cow fell on a gravel bar approximately 100 yards west of the Hoh campground
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby Todd » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Sounds like a cow elk protecting a calf.

I was on a deer farm the other day I was riding an ATV and the owners Jack Russel decided to follow me around as I was checking fences. We were crossing a field when a fallow doe started chasing the dog and trying to stomp it. She didn't pay any attention to me, but she sure wanted that dog. Never did see a fawn, but there must have been one somewhere in the area.
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Return to National Parks