School me on the .338 Rem Ult Mag.

Target, Sporting clays, Reloading, Gunsmith ....

Moderator: totoe

School me on the .338 Rem Ult Mag.

Postby lunyou » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Just like the title says. I like the idea of buying one, and sooner or later getting into reloading rounds for it. But before the buying and reloading must come the arguements for and against.............so shoot.

lunyou
lunyou
Outdoorsmen

Postby lunyou » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:53 pm

well I went to a local gun shop, because I like the guy and he is pretty nice. I told him I was curious on the price of a .338 Rem Ultra Mag and he completely skipped it and said that if you are wanting a big caliber you should get the .325 WSM so we pecked around came up with a price. But he seemed to sold on the .338 WSM, but didn't say anything about the .338 RUM.

lunyou
lunyou
Outdoorsmen

Postby 41mag » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Never shot a 338 ultra but Winchester 338 magnum's were VERY popular when I lived out west in rockies. Sometimes it seems that they dream up new rounds to spur more sales. Not knocking the Ultra but if you cannot do the job with a 338 WM, you are not going to get it done with Ultra either. Plus 338 WM is a lot more plentiful and cheaper too and it is a very serious round. If I felt I really need more power than that to spot game I would use a 458 WM as its 45 cal 500 grain pill is very serious medicine. ALso on the hunt where 44 did not much good I would love to see what gun and ammo they used. My guess is a short barreled one and wrong ammo to. 310 grain hard cast,gas checked semi wad cutters with a stiff load in 7.5 inch barrel or better would defeat any Armour that animal has and at more than point blank range too. With right load a 44 is still a very serious and capable gun. I have been shooting them for over 30 years and know them well (I own 3) Even hand loaded 300 grain hornady hollow points will exit the rear of a dear when shot in chest as 50 yards. 44's shine with heavy slugs and stiff loads. BTW, I have a 444 Marlin too and with 300 grain hand loads it is like a 44 on serious steroids. (it can launch a 300 grain 44 call bullet at well over 2100 FPS). If I was hunting boar I would choose a large caliber and bullet weight over velocity and smaller bore any day. A large bore makes a bigger hole before it even opens up.
41mag

Return to Guns & Shooting