Winchester 94

Target, Sporting clays, Reloading, Gunsmith ....

Moderator: totoe

Winchester 94

Postby chief joe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:26 am

Can you give me a couple choices for scope mounts for a 94? I want to put a Red Dot on mine so I can shoot a little quicker. Thanks!
Last edited by chief joe on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby caver » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:28 am

I can't recommend a specific mount for for a 94, but IMO, the 94 can be made into a fast shooter by getting a good ghost ring rear sight, and possibly replacing the front with a high visabilty sight or leave it be and paint it white. The 94 is really built for iron sights, although I've ssen a few with scope mounts: very odd looking and difficust to use.
caver
Outdoorsmen

Postby 41mag » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:24 pm

As stated above, 94's do not lend themselves well to scope installation. Marlin lever action 336's with side ejection take to scopes really well though.
41mag

Postby chief joe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 pm

41mag wrote:As stated above, 94's do not lend themselves well to scope installation. Marlin lever action 336's with side ejection take to scopes really well though.

Of course I am looking for quick shooting but also the fact my eye sight is at the point that speed and open sights don't match! I don't want to spoil tyhe looks of the 94 but also don't like to leave them sitting in the closet because I can't use it.
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby 41mag » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:43 pm

I understand but the top ejection makes it difiicult to mount a scope. Best you can hope for is a side mount with scope offset from bore centerline. It will not be a good looking installation. I have a few Marlin lever actions and one of them scoped. They are naturals at taking scopes because of side ejection. (Marlins basic design is nearly as old as 94's too) There is no easy clean solution for your 94 as it was never designed with a scope or receiver mounted sights in mind.
41mag

Postby swampbuck » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:32 pm

I had a buddy who used a long eye relief pistol type scope and mounted it ahead of the receiver.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Return to Guns & Shooting