Have you ever seen a Mountain Lion where they 'don't exist'?

anything you want to talk about...

Moderator: Todd

Postby adisabledfisher » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:01 am

Missouri is finally admitting there are lions in the state after several have been shot and hit by cars. I've never seen one, but reliable people I know have reported them.
Scott<br>
A Disabled Fisherman
<br>To fish or not to fish...

NOT TO FISH ??

Yea...like that's even an option !
adisabledfisher
Trophy Hunter

Postby scooter » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:13 am

I have read articles that stated Tourists and Rangers in and around the Great Smoky Mountains have seen cougars.I have also heard some say they were around Tackett creek.I dont think we have any to amount to anything.Maybe a disgarded pet..
scooter
Trophy Hunter

Postby TnEncore » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:53 am

A couple of years ago, their was one seen 2 times where I live. Haven't heard another one since. I guess it was just passing though.
TnEncore
Guide

Postby TnEncore » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:26 pm

That would be Rhea Co., Todd.
TnEncore
Guide

Postby huntthis » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:25 pm

This is my second year of bow hunting for turkey. I did not even get a shot last year, but this year I got in a great spot. I went out this morning and set up my decoys and blind. I had a jake come in about 15 feet away. I got a shot at him when he stepped away to about 15 yards. I hit him firmly in the breast, and the arrow almost went through him. The turkey took of on a slow run with the arrow hanging from its tail feathers. I was certain that it was going to die shortly. I waited for a couple of minutes and then started on the trail. I found the bird resting under a tree. I could not get a shot, so I just ran into the bush, the turkey jumped up and took of flying. He flew over a ravine and a hill, so I followed him. As I crept up the backside of the hill, I heard the turkey making very unusual sounds. It was standing out in the wide open, but I was not close enough for a shot. Suddenly, something caught my eye across the ravine. A mountain lion was sneaking up on this bird. The bird caught a glimpse of the cat and started running but it could not run the best. The lion darted and grabbed the turkey by the neck. There was lots of flapping and clucking and then silence. I was upset that I did not have my camera with me as I witnessed this and also that the cat stole my bird. This is quite a story, especially because it's in southeastern Nebraska, where there aren't supposed to be mountain lions.
huntthis
Green Horn

Postby 22HornetHunter » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:50 pm

I have been hiking and seen them in the Smoky's on the Carolina side. It was a great shocker. I was pleasently surprised
Life in the outdoors begs the question, "What is left for Heaven?"
22HornetHunter
Outdoorsmen

Postby GuidesForHire » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:19 pm

no but there are several dozen reports made of hem each year. the owner of GFH has investigated most of them near us and they all were fisher, so far......
your guides at GFH
GuidesForHire
Green Horn

Postby BigTroop » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:51 pm

No reason for them not to be back in this country. The explosion of deer provides a ready source of food. Cougars are also human-shy. I have friends who live out west in cougar habitat who've never seen a big cat or encountered sign... why is is far-fetched to believe that cougars, which are solitary animals any way, can avoid being sighted?

And, if you ask an official "off-the-record," you might be surprised at what they really think. I am put in mind of an incident in North Alabama along the Tennessee River in 1979 when alligators were restocked in a national wildlife refuge. It was done with little fanfare, but when the public finally learned, what a hue-and-cry went up! City dwellers and ignorant suburbanites living along the river started writing letters to newspapers about 'gators eating their poodles or snatching children.

A U.S. Congressman got involved, and a pro gator hunter was hired to round up the 30-odd reptiles. It was an impossible task, of course, but it made old ladies feel better. Those gators are still there, thriving and breeding merrily. The "official" line, however, is that they don't exist north of Montgomery... until one gets run over by a truck on Redstone Arsenal, and then it becomes a case of someone "releasing a pet."

The last pet that got run over was 10 feet long! :grin:
________
launch box
Last edited by BigTroop on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigTroop
Outdoorsmen

Postby Phil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:34 am

Not exactly around here, but I saw this article from Kansas the other day that was pretty interesting.

http://www.ljworld.com/section/mountain_lions/story/154496
Phil
Guide

Postby bryan » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:20 am

I have never seen one in the wild but would love too! I did some work for a guy this year in Overton County, his family has a huge farm(several hundred acres) and he swears he has seen them. The houses are very few and far between, so i think it could very well be posible.
bryan
Trophy Hunter

Postby Autry » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:00 pm

Cougars do exist in TN as well as other southeastern states. I have seen both pictures and tracks of these big cats.

Our state game agency likes to deny that these big cats exist here because they do not want to explain how they got here.
Autry
Outdoorsmen

Postby TnEncore » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:03 pm

Heck I'll tell them, they just walked here. :grin:
TnEncore
Guide

Postby Autry » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:51 pm

Not exactly!
Autry
Outdoorsmen

Postby TnEncore » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:55 pm

On 2003-12-28 17:51, Autry wrote: