Caving with my son

gear, places, safety ......

Moderator: Todd

Caving with my son

Postby bodean9 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 am

I'm taking my 7-year old son Ethan caving in Smithville, TN tomorrow morning. I've never been to Smithville, but according to my friend it's supossed to be a kid-friendly cave.

My 2-year old daughter would like to go...she's running around with the light on her head.
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Re: Caving with my son

Postby chief joe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm

I can't help you but it sure sounds like a great time. Hope you post some follow-up! Be safe! :D
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby bodean9 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 am

This is the follow-up, but it's not much. We had a great time two weekends ago. We walked around 2.5 miles to, within and coming from the cave, then the next day Ethan wanted to walk to his grandparents house, which is another 2.5 miles. I was thinking my 7-year old was going to let me rest, but we woke me up early saying he wanted to walk there and back. Two weeks ago, on a 3 day weekend we walk very close to 10 miles in 3 days.

Last Sunday we walked the 5 miles to and from his grandparents house again. Tomorrow the weather is possibly messy and we are going to Greenville, KY on Sunday...so we won't make our 5 mile hike this week.

I'm trying to work Ethan up to larger caving trips and walking to and from his grandparents house is probably the best way for now. We are about 150 feet off in elevation between our houses in the almost exact 2.5 miles distance. Ethan loves to compete and since it is up and down hill we call the steepest hills the "beast." Our first walk we talked all about kicking the beast, but on the second hick we just talked the whole way...not about kicking the beast, instead we talked about what we were thinking.
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Postby bodean9 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 am

I didn't take a camera, but my friend snapped a few photographs, while we were in the cave. I'll see if hee can forward them to me.
bodean9
Outdoorsmen

Postby chief joe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:03 pm

bodean9 wrote:I didn't take a camera, but my friend snapped a few photographs, while we were in the cave. I'll see if hee can forward them to me.

Good deal. Sounds like great father/son time!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Return to Caving