Whooping cranes shot

Wildlife reintroduction, public lands, oil drilling, clear cutting, recycling.....

Moderator: Todd

Whooping cranes shot

Postby ~jeff~ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 am

Whooping cranes were shot to death
Reward being offered for tips

Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Wildlife scientists determined three whooping cranes found dead in southern Georgia in December were shot and killed.
The cranes were found and reported by hunters in Calhoun County, just west of Albany, Ga., on Dec 30. The landowner reported the cranes had been in the area for a few weeks before they found them dead just before New Year
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Re: Whooping cranes shot

Postby chief joe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am

~jeff~ wrote:[b]Whooping cranes were shot to death
Reward being offered for tips.

Man this is so senseless. I hope someone gets greedy and turns the guilty in. :x
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:36 am

chief joe wrote:Man this is so senseless. I hope someone gets greedy and turns the guilty in. :x

You're right, it don't make a lot of sense.

I have my doubts the culprits were knowledgeable enough to even know what they were shooting. They've just shot some white birds for the sake of doing so.

If they'd known what they were and shot anyway, they would have likely taken them instead of just leaving them lay.
The Whooping cranes quality of table fare was somewhat related to their demise to begin with..

The five birds that were destine for Chassahowitzka NWP arrived today. I am currently attending a conference in Seattle so I missed the welcoming ceremony this year.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

~jeff~ wrote:The Whooping cranes quality of table fare was somewhat related to their demise to begin with..
The five birds that were destine for Chassahowitzka NWP arrived today. I am currently attending a conference in Seattle so I missed the welcoming ceremony this year.

Are they similar to the sand crane in flavor? Haven't had them but all accounts sound good to me.

Kt and I never made it south to see the cranes. Not sure how late they are there?
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 am

chief joe wrote:
Are they similar to the sand crane in flavor? Haven't had them but all accounts sound good to me.

Sandhills vs Whooping cranes? thats sorta like comparing Walrus to Manatee meat.

I've ate Sandhills and Walrus but neither of the competitive runner-ups but my guess is they could be similar.

Kt and I never made it south to see the cranes. Not sure how late they are there?

Cranes usually migrate with a tailwind or no wind. In spring, the cranes usually depart when high pressure systems bring sunshine to Texas (Western natural flock) or Florida (Eastern reintroduced flock) and winds coming from the south or east. Thermals and strong southeast winds provide ideal northward migration conditions. By taking advantage of these thermals and tailwinds, the birds soar more and flap less. This saves their energy. Thermal currents aid the birds' flight by allowing them to spiral up to about a mile in altitude and then glide at speeds up to 60 mph. In fact, all along their migration path the whoopers wait for high pressure and favorable winds (tailwind or no wind) to continue their journey.
~Jeff~
~jeff~
Tracker

Return to Sportsmen & Environmental Issues