Habitual poacher gets heavy sentence

Wildlife reintroduction, public lands, oil drilling, clear cutting, recycling.....

Moderator: Todd

Postby Todd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 pm

October 13, 2010

Florida - A Putnam County man known for poaching deer has lost his privilege to hunt in Florida, and dozens of other states, for life.

John "Jay" Frederick Badger Jr. (DOB 07/20/70) of 412 Silver Lake Road, Palatka, pled guilty Oct. 7 to poaching and other charges filed against him last February by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) law enforcement officers.

Putnam County Judge Terry J. Larue found Badger guilty of both felony and misdemeanor violations - including armed trespass, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, taking deer during closed season, taking deer at night with gun and light, petty theft and driving while license is cancelled, suspended or revoked.

As part of his sentence, Badger will begin a six-month stay in the Putnam County Jail Nov. 5. After that, he will serve one year of house arrest, followed by three years on probation. He is also required to successfully complete six months of parenting classes, and he has forfeited to the FWC his guns and contraband, including his mounted heads of illegally killed deer. He also must pay about $500 in court-related costs.

During his court appearance, Badger was advised that the maximum penalty for his convictions is 10 years in state prison and a $10,000 fine, which his sentence will revert to if he violates the terms of his probation.

But the worst of it for Badger may be that the judge permanently suspended his privilege to hunt. Not only did he lose that privilege in Florida, but also in the dozens of other states that hold cooperative agreements for convicted poachers.

"This arrest and subsequent conviction of a well-known Putnam County poacher should send a strong message to other poachers of Putnam County: 'We are not playing,'" said FWC Officer Troy Starling.

Badger landed in the Putnam County Jail Feb. 26, charged with 17 felonies and misdemeanors for violations that occurred on Plum Creek Timber Co. property in Hollister, in his yard under a streetlight when he lived in Interlachen, and on public roads.

For several months prior to arresting Badger, Starling had been investigating the man, based on information about a deer he had killed illegally and had in his possession. At the same time, fellow FWC officers in Putnam County were using video surveillance equipment to watch Badger illegally accessing private property without permission, with a firearm, and using his 13-year-old-son as a lookout and driver.

With the help of the surveillance equipment, Capt. Gregg Eason finally apprehended Badger at night on Dec. 17, 2009, while Badger was leaving the Plum Creek Timber Co. property. Badger had his son with him and was driving without lights to avoid detection. Eason happened to be nearby and was able to respond quickly when he got a call that Badger was there.

As Badger left the property, Eason slipped in behind him with no lights. When Badger stopped at a stop sign, Eason turned on his lights, including the blue ones.

"It was one of those moments poachers dread," said Eason.

"Before the night was over, Badger confessed his crimes and, two months later, turned himself in to Starling, who booked him into the Putnam County Jail."

Previously, Badger was arrested by FWC officers and convicted in Putnam County in 1995 for attempting to take deer in a closed season, and again in 2003 for possession of doe deer.

Anyone with information about illegal fishing, hunting or other law violations involving fish and wildlife in Florida should call the FWC's Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922 right away. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward if their information leads to an arrest. The hotline is open 24 hours a day.
Last edited by Todd on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby Todd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:58 pm

This is a perfect example of our justice system at work. Or should I say trying unsuccessfully to work.

The tax payers are going to have to pay for this moron to sit in jail for 6 months. For killing a deer. Meanwhile his presence will mean the jail is over-crowded so some sex offender will be released early.

Then they take away his hunting license. This guy has 5 previous arrests, and at least 5 different charges that night. He doesn't need no stink'n license!
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Todd wrote:This is a perfect example of our justice system at work. Or should I say trying unsuccessfully to work.

The tax payers are going to have to pay for this moron to sit in jail for 6 months. For killing a deer. Meanwhile his presence will mean the jail is over-crowded so some sex offender will be released early.

Then they take away his hunting license. This guy has 5 previous arrests, and at least 5 different charges that night. He doesn't need no stink'n license!

What would you have done?
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby swampbuck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 am

And I am sure the poacher is all broke up about losing his hunting privileges.. :roll:

What would I have done?

mmmmm took him out back shot him and tossed him in a dumpster . :l2
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Postby chief joe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 pm

swampbuck wrote:What would I have done?

mmmmm took him out back shot him and tossed him in a dumpster . :l2

I was not trying to be sarcastic to Todd. It is an interesting case. Most of the time the criminals have total disregard for the laws and for others so court ordered restrictions seem ineffective at best.
Monitoring him requires manpower. Death seems a bit too harsh.
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm

chief joe wrote: Death seems a bit too harsh.

Yeah, but it'd cure the problem.

Don't worry about Todd, he's just all edgey. new kid must be keepin' him up all night or sumtin. He'll be fine.....
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm

~jeff~ wrote:Don't worry about Todd, he's just all edgey. new kid must be keepin' him up all night or sumtin. He'll be fine.....

New babies will do that to a fella!
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby swampbuck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 pm

so will teenagers..long story
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Postby Todd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:00 pm

chief joe wrote: I was not trying to be sarcastic to Todd.

Not a problem at all, and I didn't take it that way. I have been out hunting this week with my first clients at the new property. They came in Monday and I have been busy daylight till dark every day since.

chief joe wrote:Most of the time the criminals have total disregard for the laws and for others so court ordered restrictions seem ineffective at best.
Monitoring him requires manpower. Death seems a bit too harsh.

I agree with everything you said here. And I don't like poaching, it's a huge problem.

I looked at this case like this, the worst thing this guy did IMO was trespassing. Would I want to see someone go to jail for 6 months for trespassing to hunt? In most cases I would say no. While I don't like the fact he illegally killed a deer, it's still just a deer.
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Todd wrote:I looked at this case like this, the worst thing this guy did IMO was trespassing. Would I want to see someone go to jail for 6 months for trespassing to hunt? In most cases I would say no. While I don't like the fact he illegally killed a deer, it's still just a deer.

What do you think of community service? It takes manpower but can be done on a bigger scale like a chain gang cleaning ditches of litter.
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:16 am

Todd wrote: I have been out hunting this week with my first clients at the new property.

Excuse me for running off topic here, but uhh... How'd the hunt go?
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Return to Sportsmen & Environmental Issues