protect the 2nd amendment....

Moderators: Todd, MJW

Colorado Springs shooter protected under 'make my day'

Postby Todd » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:08 am

Springs shooter protected under 'make my day'
By Tom McGhee
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/27/2009 01:11:43 PM MST
Prosecutors say a Colorado Springs resident who killed an intruder as the man drunkenly tried to break into a home he thought was his own didn't violate the law and won't be prosecuted.

James Parsons is protected under Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which says people have a right to absolute safety in their homes and can use deadly force to protect themselves from intruders, according to the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office.

Sean Kennedy, 22, was an assistant golf pro at Kissing Camels Golf Course in Colorado Springs. He had been drinking at a Broncos party in Colorado Springs the night of the shooting. He apparently thought he was breaking into his own house, which was really a block away.

Parsons couldn't be reached for comment.

Police turned the case over to the DA's office to determine whether the shooting was covered under the "make my day" law.

Parsons told police he and his girlfriend saw a white GMC pickup truck drive up and park in front of his house at 3212 Virginia Ave. on the night of Dec. 28.

Kennedy got out and began beating on the door and yelling obscenities. "(He) continued to beat and pound on the door, during which time the resident told his girlfriend to call 911, and he went into the bedroom to get his gun, a revolver," according to a statement from the DA's office.

When Kennedy went to the rear of the house, broke a lock on the screen door and then broke a window and began undoing the deadbolt, Parsons shot at him three times.

Parsons' girlfriend was on the phone with police dispatchers for more than four minutes before the shooting. "The resident's girlfriend was then heard saying "Oh, my God, he's coming in the back door!" and then, "Are they on their way because, oh, my God, he broke in the glass!" according to the DA's statement.
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Return to 2nd Amendment