Hogs in general

All aspects of big game hunting; deer, boar, elk..

Postby The Kidd » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:39 am

I could use some help.
would like to know the procedure for field dressing hogs, is there a site that details this and is it the same as white tail also would like to know which area is best as far as shot placement.
I have had (2) go down and run off after what I considered to be a good shot in the vitals and after @ two hours they were still going. If wondering 257roberts with a 117gr. bonded bear claw at @ 30 yrds. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, brian southlandshop@peoplepc.com
The Kidd
Green Horn

Postby Lathern » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:08 pm

todd is right, shoot the bottom half. their is nothing but meat on the top half. nothing wrong with the .257, is a good cartrige.
Lathern
Trophy Hunter

Postby Lathern » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:10 pm

oh, and welcome to the site Kidd
Lathern
Trophy Hunter

Postby The Kidd » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:00 pm

Thanks to all! this is a great help.
Im shue I was high as far as shot placement.
question- should the same method for waiting time carry over from white tail I.E.
give the hog @ an hour to expire before tracking didnt know after an hour I lost all ability to track (blood,hoofprints,ect)
The Kidd
Green Horn

Postby Phil » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:57 pm

Welcome to the site!
Phil
Guide

Postby Lathern » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:12 am

yeah, hogs seal up quick and dont bleed like a deer, they are tough critters.

older boar have the tough "armor" that cover the vitals, so dont try to shoot back a little. it covers the heart, lung and liver.
Lathern
Trophy Hunter

Postby Charshooter » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:25 am

Hogs,
I must have shot 500 of these guys in my life; the best is a good shot at a triangle below the eyes drawn at the same distance down the eyes are apart. Sounds complicated nut read it a few times an it is simple.
Use heavy caliber on these guys, because you want to knock then down, as they are dangerous game. I would use a 44 nag handgun, but have years of experience. Actually, the 44 is enough if you shoot them right! If you have that so called venerable 30-06, use the 220 grain Winchester Silvertips or any 220 grain, a 35 Whelen with 250 grain will be overkill, but so what? The 375 Winchester is just great as is the 444 Marlin and 45-70. I would say if I were worried at all, I would load some 45-70 with the Hornady 350 grain and even of you cleve, their head you will knock then cold!
As to dressing hogs, the advice you got is as good as I can write it; just don't cut the gut if you can help it! The meat is super! Talk about pork roast on a cold day yum! You can cut chops if you want and use the ham like on a domestic hog. I trap so many in Texas, then shoot the adults, this is why I killed so many, then I feed the pigs on good malt and corn and they are such good eating. There is nothing like having good hog dogs and trapping a boar hog and dispatching it with a 44 mag. Revolver.
Wake me up yesterday
Charshooter
Outdoorsmen

Postby The Kidd » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:01 pm

Thanks shooter good info.
you seem to know your hogs, so if I may I have more questions.
1. what is the best way to attract, lure, bait or just get hogs to come to feeder, rubbing post so that they may become part of my balenced diet.
I am using feeders with timers filled with corn and (hog wild ) jello smelling stuff, also I have buried corn and they dig it up of course that happens when im not there.
Are there any calls that work I was thinking of purchasing one of the digital calls programed for deer hogs turkey ect ,but man thats alot of $$$$$$ let me know and thank you fo for your help.
The Kidd
Green Horn

Postby Lathern » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:11 pm

there is a lot of stuff out there on the market, some of it works and some don't.
the most luck that i have had is soured corn. just get you some 5 gal. buckets and fill about half corn and half water and let sit for a couple weeks
Lathern
Trophy Hunter

Postby ~jeff~ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 am

You know, this has always been my favorite thread in these forums.......
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 pm

My uncle used to make up mush for the hogs using the whey from cheese making process. Rank stuff!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby ~jeff~ » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 am

It was way cuter in the "forum help" threads :D

It's quite respectful that everyone jumped in and offered their help where is many forums the poster would have been flamed for where he posted this.

I have held back long enough from offering my assistance.

The Kidd wrote:I could use some help.
would like to know the procedure for field dressing hogs,

You just sharpin up your knife and dive in and try your best to make that hog look like bacon and pork chops.....
~Jeff~
Palin For President 2012 - 2014 1/2
~jeff~
Tracker

Return to Big Game Hunting