Back from KY bow hunt

All aspects of big game hunting; deer, boar, elk..

Back from KY bow hunt

Postby swampbuck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm

First off I gotta say George Cummings of "Salt River Outfitters" has some awesome land, and a very nice operation. No lodge you stay in his home with him and wife and two young boys..Had a great time, we did have to cut the hunt 2 days short because my wife got sick..

And as for BIG deer they have them.
Every one talks about west KY , but the deer in this part of the state are second to none.. Lots of agriculture and a combo of fields, oak flats and thick cedar bedding areas.. Not to mention the area gets light hunting pressure. Just an awesome looking area about halfway between Lexington and Louisville..

There was one slight problem the dreaded "OCTOBER LULL"was in full effect and daytime deer movement was almost non existent..

However I did manage to to kill my first ever bow buck a mature 8pt with decent mass and a very long body.He came out into the Alfalfa right at dark, we had set up as close to bedding area as possible. Now I saw bigger deer on trail cam pics but this deer was on the hit list. I made an awesome 35 yd double lung pass through and the deer ran maybe 100yds before crashing. I love my muzzy broad heads had a perfect 3 blade cut through the lungs...I know he is not a KY monster but gonna mount him as it is my first bow kill buck..

The outfitter even has 10 to 15 min of my buck and another bigger 8pt grazing then sparing he is gonna send to me. My wife even got her first shot ever at a deer but just nicked the edge of the ground blind and the arrow missed it's mark..

Also when go back up in a few weeks to pick my meat up he is gonna let me hunt the two days I got shorted. CLASS ACT!
Attachments
ky bow buck 3.jpg
ky bow buck 3.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
ky buck 2.jpg
ky buck 2.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
ky buck.jpg
ky buck.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Re: Back from KY bow hunt

Postby chief joe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 am

Great looking buck! Congratulations. Is this a bow hunting only operation? Can I ask what it cost for the hunt and the license? Wat to go!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby swampbuck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:31 am

Bow hunting only up till Nov not sure of date, but archery starts early Sept[velvet hunts] and runs till Jan 16th '' the early hunts and rut hunts are best for big bucks ..Velvet hunts are archery only, rut hunts are M/L , Rifle or bow

Hunt cost $1500 guide food and lodging. [5 days]

license cost
non res $200

give George a call he is happy to talk to anyone..
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Postby chief joe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 pm

This is a very reasonable price. Web site looks great. Some real nice bucks on the cameras. Is there any trophy fees for those big boys?

http://saltriverhunts.com/about.html
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby swampbuck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:27 pm

No trophy fees all free range .. He likes to keep a 120 min for bow and 130 min for rifle... I told him I had never killed a buck with my bow so he was flexible..

He has some big bucks, had the deer been moving better I might have held out .

Frederic Bastiat
swampbuck
Guide

Return to Big Game Hunting