Aoudad hunt coming up

All aspects of big game hunting; deer, boar, elk..

Aoudad hunt coming up

Postby chief joe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Ten days till I head out for a three day aoudad hunt below Alpine, TX. Looking forward to it!
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Re: Aoudad hunt coming up

Postby Todd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Good luck with that. I had a couple hunters in the other day and one had been on an Aoudad hunt in Texas with a buddy of his. He said it was tough hunting. His buddy got his the last hour of the last day of his hunt, after several days of hunting hard. So don't give up or get discouraged, it will happen....
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Todd wrote:Good luck with that. I had a couple hunters in the other day and one had been on an Aoudad hunt in Texas with a buddy of his. He said it was tough hunting. His buddy got his the last hour of the last day of his hunt, after several days of hunting hard. So don't give up or get discouraged, it will happen....

The drought may have messed things up for them a bit. I will keep you posted! Thanks
Joe Beran
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull." - W.C. Fields
chief joe
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:41 am

Leaving Sunday afternoon. Will hook up wit Pablo and begin hunting adventure Tuesday morning.
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Here I am with a 23 inch aoudad taken at 314 yards with my Browning BLR using Federal 165 grain. I never thought "He's down" would sound so good. I have not shot at long distance much at all. I was really nervous about shooting at anything over 200 yards. We hunted hard for 2 1/2 days before we even found out where the aoudad were hanging out. It became apparent as time was running out that the hopes of any shorter shot was out.
After not seen anything for 2 1/2 days, around 4 PM Wednesday we had aoudad running around. Anybody who thinks that these critters are not wild were are easy to hunt apparently hasn't hunted them.
Pablo spotted five aoudad, resting in the shade at over 600 yards away. We were able to close the distance and set up an uphill shot at 314 yards. It was obvious that they saw us. They froze in place with an occassional foot stomp. . There was a group of three standing on a small ledge on the side of the cliff. As we got set up a ewe stood right in front of the ram. They stood there for what seemed like eternity just staring at us. Finely the ewe turned and began to walk away. The ram also turned and as he did that another ewe stepped in front of him. Pablo was watching through his rangefinder binoculars and I had him on my scope. About the time Pablo said "There he is" I pulled the trigger. I was able to catch critters running but it wasn't until Pablo said that he was down that I knew I had connected. The aoudad tumble off the cliff and began to roll down the steep hill in front of us. We quickly got up to him but I think if we would've waited he might've rolled all the way down the hill.
Words cannot describe how exciting this hunt was. I have to admit I had given up on even finding them. Pablo worked hard and must be cross eyed from all the glassing he did. My thanks to Muklie_ Mike and to Pablo Rosario for making this hunt possible. I don't know that I'll ever get to do it again but I do know that if I get I would trust my hunt to these guys. I hope you enjoy!
I also want to thank McClelland Gun Shop in Dallas for going the extra mile to get my BLR ready.

Beautiful sunrise on our last day of the hunt on the Tarlingia Ranch in southwest Texas
Me and my aoudad
Pablo tuffing out lunch on the last day!
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:25 pm

The guy picked up my aoudad horns last evening. He is going an euro mount on a plaque the shape of Texas. Should be neat! :D
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby chief joe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:00 am

Had aoudad back strap for dinner. Pretty good!
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Postby Todd » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:09 pm

That sounds like a fantastic hunt and that is definitely a great Aoudad. Appreciate the post and the pictures.
---------------------------
"Nothing is easier than spending public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." Calvin Coolidge
Todd
Guide

Postby chief joe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 am

Todd wrote:That sounds like a fantastic hunt and that is definitely a great Aoudad. Appreciate the post and the pictures.

Thanks Todd. Hard to believe these critters are considered invasive in many places. I know a guy who claimed that a group of hunters shot 300 at the request of the landowner over the course of a couple days.
Joe Beran
chief joe
Tracker

Return to Big Game Hunting